Nowadays we live connected to Wi-Fi networks, and often connected with several devices to them. However, when does our notebook work normally and even with the good signal on the cell phone the connection is very bad?
To explain this, first we’ll give you an introduction into how a wireless network router works, how signal transmission works, and reception on cell phones and computers, which is different from one another. The router we have used is Asus RT-AC3200, but the steps are common for all routers.
The router works by receiving the data, encoding it and sending it in transmission bands, which can be called channels, as well as the same TV. This signal is received by devices, which are in the same tune, forming the Wi-Fi network. What happens often, as in our TVs, these channels are congested, or with a very poor tuning, providing a picture all drizzled, in the case of Wi-Fi a slow connection. The routers work with 12 channels, having two types of 20 and 40 MHz transmit frequency.
Where does frequency influence? Well, the router does not work exactly on one channel at the same time. According to the selected frequency, it will be the number of channels it will transmit, that is, if you select channel 6 of your Asus router setup, and the frequency of transmission in 40 MHz. It will transmit between channels 4 and 8, causing the data to travel between them, likewise selecting 20MHz, the channels used will be between 5 and 7.
As for the reception of this signal in our handsets, it is quite basic. Smartphones and tablets, generally operate better in lower channels, while notebooks and computers work in higher channels, so it is necessary that the channel selected be intermediate, so that the two can work well, or it all depends on which one you have the highest priority. We will explain in detail each situation throughout the blog post.
Well, in case you are suffering from any of these problems, a simple channel change can solve. However, before teaching the step by step to make that change let’s think.
If you are in a place with many Wi-Fi networks, use the Wi-Fi Analyzer application to identify the busiest channels, and then reallocate your network to freer channels. Always remembering that for connecting cell phones and tablets to low channels, computers and notebooks high channels, then try to keep an average if you need to connect both. Moreover, if these medium-sized networks are congested, opt to switch your Asus router to one with higher transmission power. Therefore, your connection can improve even on congested channels.
If you choose to connect to Wi-Fi only Smartphones and tablets. Choose a relatively low channel and keep your frequency at 20MHz as this low incidence of channels will make your connection much better. This does not help you much if you have to connect computers to this Wi-Fi network.
Therefore, the tip is, keep the frequency at 40MHz and select channels between 5 and 7, so your network is good for both mobile phones and tablets. Only if these channels are heavy traffic use channels such as 4 or 8.
Now let’s go to step by step to make the channel change.
- Open the start menu and look for “Command Prompt” or use the “Win + R” shortcut and type “CMD”.
- With the Command Prompt open, enter the command: ipconfig and press enter.
- Note that on the Default Gateway line. There is the following IP number: 192.168.1.2. This is the number that we will use to access Asus router. If so, use the number that appears to you.
- Paste this IP number into your browser and press enter.
- In this screen, you must be logged in. By default, most routers use the login admin and the password also admin. However, many ISPs change this setting and need to contact them to obtain these credentials.
- From this point on, the interfaces may differ depending on the make and model of your Asus router. However, the steps are basically the same. “Wireless Settings> Manual Wireless Setup”.
- In the option, “Wireless Channel” changes to the channel of your preference according to the explanations given above. Remember that in order for your network to work well for both devices, keep a medium channel between 5 and 7, with a frequency of 40MHz.
Usually the problems occur when the internet operators with an automatic channel configure Asus routers. This leaves in a fixed channel is avoided that there is a reception conflict.